Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is “ect.” Find a word with the letters “ect” in it, and base your post on that word. (Not to be confused with “et cetera,” which is “etc.”) Enjoy!
As a writer, the first “ect” word that pops in my head is reject, rejection, or rejected. I respect the editors that have to read through tons of subjective material, or even intellectual projects. One has to appreciate the process and try not to take the rejection personally, though it’s very hard. Speaking from experience here, getting one rejection after another stings. After reading an article about what editors want, however, I learned that they are simply trying to do a difficult, monumental task, most of the time as a volunteer!! Now, I don’t feel quite so dejected. 😉 They pointed out in the piece that it doesn’t mean we are bad writers, it’s just that our pieces may not be a good fit for that particular publication.
Thank goodness for Grammarly by the way, if it weren’t for that fabulous editing app, even more of my writing ✍🏻 would end up in the slush pile, or more likely, the trash can. So try to look at your editors with some love and affection, they have a gargantuan job to do!
Here are the rules:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!